Tech Tip Tuesday : A Typing Tool For You
How can you help your child learn to type?
These days, classroom projects, lessons, and even standardized assessments include elements requiring our kids to type their ideas and responses. We thought we'd share a fun typing site for you to incorporate learning and practicing this lifelong skill at home today -- Typing Club!
FROM THE IDS TEAM:
This website incorporates engaging how-to videos with lessons around where kids should put their hands on the keyboard (the "home keys"), how to find all of the different letters, and how to type quickly but accurately. Kids get real-time feedback on their speed and accuracy and they have to meet a minimum threshold before moving through the lessons - so you know they're learning!
Many schools use this website in their classroom as well, which makes it a great place to start at home, so your kids will be used to it if they do see it in the classroom. They also have typing lessons in Spanish, and are looking to add new languages as well.
FROM THE DEVELOPERS:
It's a Game: An engaging and interactive experience while you are learning how to type.
Proper hand posture guide: Will show you the correct hand posture on every key as you type
Levels, Badges and Stars: All the reasons to keep you going, and build your muscle memory
- Accessibility: TypingClub is the most accessible typing program available.
- Interactive experience: A full range of experiences from games, videos and different typing challenges makes learning fun.
- Voice over: Once you turn it on, every word is read out loud as you are typing each word.
- Typing Playback: You can view your past performances and even play them back.
- Google for Education Partner: TypingClub is a Google for Education Partner
- 100% Online: All you need is a keyboard and a web browser.
DETAILS AND LINK:
Free for individual accounts (teachers/schools can pay for classroom accounts).